Thursday, June 5, 2008

chandler

Picking up a little late where Sharon tagged me ...

The instructions are:
1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

Ok... here goes. The book is Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep, which I picked up at a local book store because I realized I'd never read any of his books, and I was thinking about detective stories.
"His wife says he never made a nickel off of old man Sternwood except room and board and a Packard one-twenty his wife gave him. Tie that for an ex-legger in the rich gravy."
"It beats me," I said.

Don't know who else to tag, so... anyone who reads this, give it a shot!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Ah... you are still alive! Didn't Chandler write a lot of detective stories? I seem to remember some movies made from his books in the 40's. Or do I have that wrong?

Angel said...

Yeah, he wrote a bunch of detective novels about Phillip Marlowe. The Big Sleep is the most well-known, and if memory serves, I believe Marlowe was played by Humphrey Bogart in the movie version.

Sharon said...

Ah... my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was!!! Hooray for the old lady!