Friday, April 4, 2008

tarantino

A couple nights ago, I sat down with some friends to watch the movie Death Proof, and I came to a realization: I have liked every Tarantino movie I've ever seen, in spite of several factors that would logically demand that I despise them. First, I really don't like Quentin Tarantino very much. He annoys me. Secondly, his films are perversely, reprehensibly violent and gory at times. I usually hate that sort of thing--there are many movies that I avoid precisely for that reason (Saw, anyone?). Thirdly, it can't be just me who detects a serious element of misogyny in his films (look here--told you I'm not the only one), in spite of the tough, violent (surprise surprise) female characters he creates. I'm a girl, ergo, I obviously dislike misogyny.

And yet...

Pulp Fiction is still incredibly compelling, even after I've seen it several times. Death Proof doesn't even have much of a plot (summed up: creepy guy kills a bunch of women, gets comeuppance as a bunch of women kill him in a similar fashion), and it's still really good. Kill Bill 1 and 2 were gory, violent, hard to take, and managed to play on a couple of my deep fears (the part where she's buried alive made me horribly claustrophobic, even sitting in a big, open room), and I would watch them again in a second. The big famous one that I haven't seen is Reservoir Dogs, because I always thought that it would be too much violence for me to deal with... but now I really want to see it, if only to prove that I'll probably like it.

As a side note: one of the reasons I like these movies probably has to do with the soundtracks. The music in Death Proof kind of makes the movie, I think. There's a song called "Down in Mexico" by The Coasters that played during the lap dance scene, and even while I was fully engrossed in the movie, I wanted to hear it over and over again.

2 comments:

Froyd said...

I'm not a big fan of tarantino...I thought that pulp fiction was really not worth watching, and seriously did not live up to expectations at all.

In fact, I think I may hate it.

Kill Bill I really enjoyed, but you may be onto something with the misogyny situation...just because he has a female protagonist enacting the violence on the women doesn't exactly make it completely kosher. On the other hand, the assassins clearly deserved the death they received.

I have not seen death proof, and have no real want to.

I'm wondering if the misogyny that is being seen is due to the fact that the characters are women, versus whether or not those characters done to them...ie, if they were male characters, would there be a sense of too much regarding the violence, or would it be seen as deserved?

Angel said...

The question of whether or not it is misogyny or just plain ol' violence is interesting. In Death Proof, there is a sense that the guy is committing violence against women because they ARE women, and they are (or he expects them to be) weak and vulnerable.

Kill Bill is another matter entirely, and hard to judge precisely because the perpetrator of violence is a woman. Can a woman sees other women as weak/inferior because they are women? Sure--screwy logic like that happens to lots of people. Is that the case in this movie? I'm not sure. She sees the other female assassins as traitors, but not really lesser beings (except in a moral sense). So in that sense, they are "deserving" of their deaths regardless of gender.

You could make the argument that the movie portrays idealized women as sexy and deadly, which perpetuates the "sexy women are evil" archetype/stereotype, but that can turn around on you quick ("Can't sexy women be anything other than obedient toys for men? Why can't they be dangerous and vengeful too?"). You see the problem.

Short answer--I don't know.