Monday, July 21, 2008

adelphoi

An update on the mouse problem: over the weekend, I purchased one of those sonic mouse-deterrent devices. No clue as to whether it really works or not (I know they're supposed to be a grand old hoax, but I was getting a little desperate and still lack the stomach to deal with a dead mouse). I've seen neither hide nor hair of the mouse in a few days, but that may be because I've taken to sleeping with the kitchen light on, thus discouraging him from his midnight forays to my garbage can and points beyond.

In other news, I feel a bit stupid for not realizing that the etymology of "Philadelphia" really does break down to "brotherly love". I feel I can be forgiven for not realizing that "delphia" is based on the the Greek word adelphoi, meaning "brethren", but I am greatly disappointed in myself for not picking up the relationship between the phila- prefix and "love". As a lover of all things language-related, I feel I must now hang my head in shame and retire from the realm of the written word. Oh, woe.

...or not.

2 comments:

Froyd said...

woe! woooooeeeeee!

Sharon said...

Well, I just learned something!