Friday, February 22, 2008

pain

Eventually, raw nerves go numb.

I have come to the conclusion, as most people do at some point in their lives, that everything that I enjoy is probably bad for me. Sugar rots my teeth. Staying up all night leads to a sleep-starved brain. Spending my spare time at the computer has already resulted in a pinched nerve in my neck and will probably lead to carpal tunnel. Keep going like this and I'll fall apart by the time I hit 30. This is the course of nature: everything tends towards entropy, and we humans are creatures of order. Decay, dissolution, and chaos are bad.

I am not well. This is due to my inability to behave as though I am ill when my mind is not impaired. Put succinctly: I think too much to rest well.

Perhaps the best advice that I have distilled from this short bout of illness is this: drink tea.

2 comments:

Froyd said...

might I also suggest drinking and playing lots and lots of violent video games?

It's the only thing that gets me through working from home on the comp and the dissertation writing.

Welcome back to the online world, buddy!

Angel said...

The drinking may have been what tipped my immune system to the point that I became ill in the first place.

Three rum and cokes in an hour on Valentines Day night--bad idea. Or really good idea at the time, turned bad later.

Violent video games, though... must experiment with that idea. Though I think the violent-est thing I own is World of Warcraft.