Thursday, October 16, 2008

frosting

I seem to remember a poem, though I'm too lazy to look it up--something about frost on the pumpkins--that seems appropriate for today. The weather is showing evidence of winter coming. I had to scrape my windshield for the first time this morning before I could drive home from work. Last night, as I was leaving, I looked up at a cold, clear moonlit sky and marvelled at the brightness, how much sharper the moon seems in late fall than it does in midsummer. Despite the threat of coming winter, the onset of allergies and flu season, the glimpses of sunlight that grow more brief and infrequent... I love this time of year.

Tonight: Banana bread, possibly visiting my aunt, definitely soup and grilled cheese for dinner. For now, sleep.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Love the way you describe the moon. It has seemed more crisp and clear lately. I wish I had a decent camera to take a good picture of it...
MMMMM....banana bread! Lucky you!

Sharon said...

Here is a link to the poem you were trying to remember:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/349.html

Angel said...

Awesome, thanks Sharon. Funny, in my mind I always attribute that poem to Robert Frost...

Reading the rest of it, it just about sums up how I feel when I leave work just as the sun's coming up and drive home in the cold.